Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Whats on your phone?

Short post tonight, as I am busy trying to learn how to get better sleep. To include, exercises, eating better, and getting to bed earlier. I'm not sure its working, but I'm trying anyway. What do you do to get better sleep at night? what are your routines? Pass them along, hell I may even sleep better then.

So, to the real reason I'm writing. I need your help. I want to put together a list of useful apps that people are using on their smart phones. Iphones, Androids, Blackberries. So post your lists of your most "useful" apps to this article. My thinking is this. I think that this would be a great way to help my fellow vets with PTSD / TBI / ADD and the like, with the day to day things that we forget. When to take meds, reminders on appointments, returning emails / messages. I use my phone all the time, but I don't think that I am using it to better help 'me' with my PTSD symptoms. Tell me your thoughts.

That is all, -Mike

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brother, the best thing you can do with that phone is to call a loved one. Tell that loved one what's going on. Also, get in touch with your local veterans charity, like Purple Hearts, Amvets, Wounded Warriors, etc. They have support groups that don't suck, unlike the VA.

See ya on twitter-- victorycigarett

Wife of a Wounded Soldier said...

We sleep with a noise machine that produces white noise. It cuts out the distractions of dogs barking, cars diving by, etc. We also both set alarms and my husband puts all appointments in his blackberry to remind him of what he needs to do. Sometimes however as soon as he gets off the phone when he makes the appointmnet he forgets to input it but he usually tells me in a text or phone call so I put it in my phone so he doesn't miss it.

Anonymous said...

I hate to say it, but I have cut out coffee after 2 p.m. so I can sleep. If I break that rule, I pay for it for days to come (like I am now). Also, stretching before going to bed helps with the muscle cramps and pain that sometimes wakes me up at 3 a.m. I also learned to relax (yes, I had to be taught), and it's amazing how much better I feel. Also, I make sure to get to bed early enough that I don't feel rushed about getting enough sleep. No computer after 8 p.m. (again, I'm breaking my own rules) because the light from the monitor tells your brain it's daytime. Those are a few of the things i do to help me sleep. Not all of them work all of the time, but these are some of my most reliable approaches.

Good luck and get some good rest.
bb

Unknown said...

I forget to put things into my phone. When I was an active duty recruiter, we had to learn time management. We were issued a "daily planner". To this day, I still use that as a way to manage my appointments, my life, etc. Get yourself a planner. Get one large enough that you can make notes in it about your day, your meds, your moods, your appointments, or anything else you need to keep track of. I carry mine with me everywhere even though it's large and bulky. It's just one of some of the habits leftover from my active duty days (& I retired in 1994).

As for my smart phone, I use that for things like the Navigator (I get lost easily), playing games to relax me, staying on top of emails when I'm forced to leave the house, etc. It's a good tool for relaxation.

Just found your blog via Twitter. Hope you'll continue to write. I, too, have PTSD, though mine is the result of MST.

Please check out my blog at http://www.onewearysoldier.blogspot.com

I also have two other websites:
http://www.vawatchdogtoday.org and http://www.straighttalkforveterans.com that I co-own with Veteran Advocate, Jim Strickland. I hope you'll visit.